Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thursday Unrandom 10: I will give you anything just please don't stop spinning Edition.

It is now officially one week since I last swam. Wow--time flies, sort of.

I'm pleased to report that the cortisone shot seems to be helping, in that there is not the lingering achiness in the shoulder that I had before, although I cannot be certain whether that difference is from the shot or the lack of swimming. It is sooooooooo tempting to try swimming again, but I will be patient, although I may break down at some point and do another kick practice, just to be in the water. It is a little like a cost-benefit analysis: will just being in the water feel good enough to make up for not being able to use my arms? Often, yes, if I am not trying to do the kicking too frequently.

But I digress, because I came here today to tell you about my recent bike ride. Wish you could have joined me today for my beautiful ride through wine country. It was a gorgeous day, nearly incandescent, with lush scenery.

OK, let's be honest.

Wine country = my basement.

"Incandescent" = completely artificial lighting.

"Lush scenery" = boxes, paint cans, old light fixtures, and the water heater.

But it was 30 minutes on the trainer, with some good intensity mixed in, and I am happy for that.

(But unhappy that I cannot think of as good a name for the bike trainer as "thrillmill." How about "strainer"?)

This is just another episode in the continuing saga of not swimming, which has also included some pleasants jogs around our local park full of blooming daffodils and tulips, some time on the bike machine and thrillmill at the Y, and a fun spinning class (GREAT instructor + pretty fun music = all the difference), and long walks with the PP. I need to get out for a run tomorrow, but for today I'm feeling sweaty from the cycling, and happy from the little adrenaline burst.

The greatest difficulty in indoor cycling, as you may know, is heart-wrenching boredom. But a few good tunes can really help. So here is the playlist from my recent ride:

1. "L.I.P.S.T.I.C.K.," Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band
2. "Natasha '75," Ralph Myerz and the Jack Herren Band
3. "Single," Pet Shop Boys
4. "Somebody's Watching Me," Rockwell (don't even say it)
5. "Stop, Drop and Roll," Squirrel Nut Zippers
6. "Bedlam Ballroom," Squirrel Nut Zippers
7. "State of the Nation," New Order
8. "Such a Lovely Thing," Devotchka
9. "Sunday Arak," Balkan Beat Box
10. "Take Me, I'm Yours," Squeeze

Can you tell that I was using my little player that plays tracks in alphabetical order? (Some by artist, of course.)

2 comments:

Joe said...

I'm glad to see that you're still keeping your sense of humor. For a second there, I thought you really were cycling through wine country. LOL.

The Fool said...

Isis, At least it wasn't 'Whine' country! Good attitude.

Keep busy, and when you have the urge to get in the pool remember the song by the Wallflowers: "everybody out of the water"!! Or maybe start humming the JAWS theme. (da dum. da dum. da da da da dum. dum dum dum dum dum).

Anything to me where I go and go and go... but I stay in the same place is called the 'hamster wheel'. But I do like strainer. tick tick tick.... It won't be long. Really!