Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Migraine Awareness Month #6: "Name That Tune!"

I am super-psyched for today's migraine blogging challenge.


My one long-time reader knows that for me to find one theme song for this disease--or really, anything--is impossible. Instead, I have a mix for you. I alluded to this mix in my previous post, and I have posted it on Spotify, but I have yet to figure out how to share it beyond Facebook. Back in the day, I would also have posted it on The Art of Mix, but alas, it is no more. RIP The Art of the Mix.

As usual, anyone who wants a copy should contact me, but I should note that this playlist has outgrown the bounds of a CD. (I could either abbreviate it for you of get it to you some other way. We'll talk.)

Now the disclaimers.

1. Do not listen to this mix when you are experiencing a migraine attack. There is nothing peaceful or comforting here.

2. The prevailing mood is dark humor, my #1 strategy for dealing with despair. And hey, if you can't laugh at chronic, genetic, neurological disease, what can you laugh at?

3. There is a bit of musical range here. Probably everything will not appeal to everyone--except me, of course, but then it is my mix.

4. Nevertheless, I have broken one of the big rules of mix tape making and included two songs by U2. Trouble is, they both really belong here. So it goes.

5. No animals were harmed in the compiling of this mix.

6. Play it loud, when you can.

7. Dance, suckers.

Without further ado, the mix:

HEAD MAGIC (2011)
1. Parliament, "P Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)"
2. Shuggie Otis, "Aht Uh Mi Hed"
3. Henrik Schwarz, "Leavemyheadalonebrain"
4. Morrissey, "Something Is Squeezing My Skull"
5. Ben Folds, "Dr. Yang"
6. Laurie Anderson, "Stiff Neck"
7. Up, Bustle & Out, "Dance Your Troubles Away"
8. U2, "Vertigo"
9. Suzanne Vega, "Blood Makes Noise"
10. The Rolling Stones, "Dear Doctor"
11. Fred Wesley & the JBs, "Blow Your Head"
12. David Seville, "Witch Doctor"
13. Trombone Shorty, "For True"
14. Paul Simon, "Run That Body Down"
15. Andrew Bird, "Fitz & Dizzyspells"
16. Bjork, "Who Is It? (Carry My Joy on the Left, Carry My Pain on the Right)"
17. The Police, "Voices Inside My Head"
18. No Doubt, "In My Head"
19. Talking Heads, "Radio Head"
20. St. Vincent, "Surgeon"
21. Peter Erskine, "Palle's Headache"
22. U2, "Miracle Drug"
23. Wilco, "Please Be Patient With Me"

National Migraine Awareness Month is initiated by the National Headache Foundation. The Blogger's Challenge is initiated by www.FightingHeadacheDisorders.com.

2 comments:

Tim said...

So it turns out that Art of the Mix is not only still alive, but greatly enhanced from what they had been. Plus the security holes seem to have been fixed. So post away!

Isis said...

Good news! I'll check it out.