Wednesday, September 29, 2004

O, to be a moderator

If you're like me, you've already set aside a serious block of time for tomorrow evening to watch the Bush-Kerry debate. I have the popcorn measured out, and just before 9 p.m. tomorrow (EDT) I will heat up my non-hydrogenated oil, get my gen-u-wine butter ready for melting, pop the corn, and take out my pencil. My friends can testify that 9 p.m. is late-nite for me (embarrassing), but this is worth it. This is serious spin time, sound bite time, heavily researched gesture time, carefully ruled-on camera-angle time.

I got to see James Fallows analyzing Bush's and Kerry's style on C-SPAN the other day too. The man understands rhetoric and presentation, and more importantly the distinction between logical debate (of the style we all practiced when wee tots) and presidential debate.

If you haven't read it yet, run do not walk your pointer to his article in the Atlantic monthly, "When George Meets John."

Interesting discussion of the 32-page agreement on rules for tomorrow night's debate on Talk of the Nation today.

But in the meantime, I am curious: What question would you most like to ask the candidates? And what is your wager for the topic that neither will touch with a ten-foot pole? According to Paul Roberts, neither will want to talk about energy policy or oil policy. He was convincing in his reasoning in a segment called "Oil Interview" on The World today.

No comments: