Friday, January 14, 2005

Meme-o-rama

The bookshelf game, as received by JarrettHouseNorth from Tony Pierce, and then modified by me.

Instructions: "Copy the list from the last person in the chain, delete the names of the authors you don't have on your home library shelves and replace them with names of authors you do have. Bold the replacements."

Salman Rushdie
Umberto Eco
Jean Rhys
J.R.R. Tolkien
Mark Twain
James Joyce
Anne Sexton
Richard Ford
William Shakespeare
Lorrie Moore

I apologize for the meme-o-rama. You see, I just put book proposals in the mail today, completed an interview for the radio, and dammit, I deserve to screw around!

p.s. Props to anyone who can explain the etymology of "meme" to me.

1 comment:

bkmarcus said...

A term coined by evolutionary biologist, Richard Dawkins in the book, Selfish Genes (1976).

If I recall, the last chapter is titled "Selfish Genes and Selfish Memes," where he defines 'meme' as "a unit of cultural inheritance, hypothesized as analogous to the particulate gene and as naturally selected by virtue of its 'phenotypic' consequences on its own survival and replication in the cultural environment."

I read it not in Dawkins's book, but in The Mind's I.

Google: define:meme