Joe tagged me, so here goes:
1. Egg nog or hot chocolate? That depends—which one has the whiskey in it?
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps presents, for goodness sakes! How else is Santa supposed to destroy his knees except by sitting on the floor with his legs folded, wrapping gifts?
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? And why not both?
4. Do you hang mistletoe? This year—you bet. The PP and our neighbor went out on a great mistletoe-conquering mission, and they came home (OK, only from about a block away, and no, there were no shotguns given this is within the city limits) with two giant “sprigs.” Ours is hanging in the living room, like a battle trophy.
5. When do you put your decorations up? LATE. Outdoor decorations went up on December 7, but the tree went up, um, today.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Roast beef tenderloin with red pepper cream sauce. Mmmmmm.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? The time I was wrapping presents with my Dad, and he asked me to wrap one of his for him. It was just a brown cardboard box. On Christmas morning I realized it had been a gift for me. I don’t remember now what it was, just that great hilarious feeling of having been “gotten.”
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Can’t remember what year, but I cried and cried!
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Indeed, and on Christmas Eve Eve, and on Christmas Eve Eve Eve. We just cannot help ourselves.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree? First lights, then the angel (see #17), then decorations, some old, some falling apart, many handmade.
11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I love it, but today it is 75 degrees!
12. Can you ice skate? Yes, but it isn’t pretty.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? No.
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you? Being with family, staving off the darkness, reveling in great food and wine, celebrating the return of the light.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Big chocolate cookies.
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Honestly, my very favorite tradition goes with Thanksgiving, not Christmas.
17. What tops your tree? A cast-iron angel. Do not mess with the cast-iron angel.
18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Please see #3.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song? “The Carol of the Bells,” sometimes called the “Ukrainian Bell Carol" or some other such thing.
20. Candy canes? Sure, but they tend to stay around too long, and then melt and leave sticky candy-cane-ness all over whatever they are in or on. Blech.
21. Favorite Christmas movie? Does A Charlie Brown Christmas count?
22. What do you leave for Santa? XO Armagnac.