Friday, March 17, 2006

Friday Random 10: Touch the Puppet Head Edition

Hallelujah, here comes spring break, since I don't teach on Fridays like some people. My only goal today was to clear some decks, so there would be no red pens for me for at least a week. Goal accomplished. Now it's just article-writing, concert-going-to, tickets-trying-to-scrounge, swimming-in-a-prelims-finals-meet, and planting to look forward to.

I don't know how it is where you are, but where I am it's time for early spring vegetables to go in. Part of the process is clearing out the raised bed, which I let lie fallow last year, since we were traveling so much during the growing season. I have cleared about half the bed, and I hope to finish up today. So far I've got nasturtiums and calendula transplants in, and I've sown a good bit of arugula. Today I'll put in red kale and "Red Drumhead" cabbage. It's 70 F and sunny here, with low humidity--a great day for this kind of work.

And there is nothing like playing in the dirt to clear the rest of the decks and convince myself that for the next 10 days or so, my time is really my own. How great is that?

1. "Walk, Billy Abbott," Willie Proctor & the Sea Island Singers, Southern Journey, Vol. 8: Velvet Voices
2. "Like a Prayer," Madonna, The Immaculate Collection
3. "Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head," They Might Be Giants, They Might Be Giants
4. "Lost Ones," Lauryn Hill, The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
5. Issa Bagayogo, "Tounga," Timbuktu
6. "Cindy Tells Me," Brian Eno, Here Come the Warm Jets
7. Prelude No. 2 in C-sharp minor, Op. 3 (Rachmaninov), Alexis Weissenberg, Rachmaninov Preludes
8. Prelude No. 3 in D minor, Op. 23 (Rachmaninov), Alexis Weissenberg, Rachmaninov Preludes
9. "Pay Me," Joe Armstrong & his group, Southern Journey, Vol. 13: Earliest Times
10. "The Titanic," Bessie Jones & her group, Southern Journey, Vol. 8: Velvet Voices

Can Cindy or anyone else tell me what the odds were of 2 consecutive tracks from the Alexis Weissenberg Rachmaninov recording coming up in succession? Together with 3 tracks from the Southern Journey albums? I'm starting to think my player is making its tastes known.

1 comment:

estaminet said...

How jealous am I that you might see Balkan Beat Box? That's a rhetorical question. I'm crazy jealous! I take it you're going to try to go to the Asheville show...you'll have to let us know how it is. Have fun!