Friday, January 19, 2007

Friday Random 9: Radio Isis.

I was reading Ian Williams's blog the other day, and he talked (in service of a different point) about technology that lets you broadcast your iPod to cars around you on the highway, sometimes reaching them whether they want you to or not. I am interested in the possibilities of this technology for pirate radio, although perhaps with a very small range. I have always wanted to run such a station (I know, Pump Up the Volume at an impressionable age), but now this may be the way to do it on the cheap.

Or would it be more like k. d. lang on your trucker's CB?

Anyway, I am even more inspired after yesterday morning's random mix on my mp3 player, which freakin' rocked. If only all the poor souls traveling with me on highway 123 could have joined in the fun!

Here's the best I can reconstruct of what it looked like:
"She's Leaving Me Because She Really Wants To," Lyle Lovett (Joshua Judges Ruth)
"O Paalanhaare," Lata Mangeshkar, Udit Narayan, Chorus (Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India)
"Dancing Machine," Jackson 5
"Dodge the Dodo," Esbjörn Svensson Trio (Somewhere Else Before)
"O Caminho," Bebel Gilberto (Bebel Gilberto)
"Bella Simamaer" Björk Guđmundsdóttir (Gling-Gló)
"Junkie Song," The Be-Good Tanyas (Chinatown)
"Karsilama," Talip Ozkan (The Dark Fire)
"Ava (Space Dance Mix)," David Byrne (Forestry)

And as can sometimes happen in surprising ways, the segues were even nice.

No comments: