Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Yes, I am a nerd. Why do you ask?

OK, OK, I plead guilty: but truly, if I were sitting somewhere other than my desk when I read Spence's blog, it might all have gone differently. Really!

Spence tagged me with this book game:

1. Find the nearest book.
2. Name the book & the author.
3. Turn to page 123.
4. Go to the fifth sentence on the page. Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
5. Tag three more folks.

OK, here we go:
Book: Cosmopolitan Style: Modernism Beyond the Nation (Columbia UP, 2006)
Author: Rebecca L. Walkowitz

p. 123, 5th sentence and ff.:
"In The Remains of the Day, therefore, Ishiguro allows us to imagine that the text is not simply a description of England but an expression of it. For Ono in Artist, as for Stevens in Remains, the perceived authenticity of local characteristics depends on an exoticism displaced elsewhere. Ishiguro wants us to see that national traditions are forged by international encounters."

I suppose it could have been worse if, say, one of the hardcore textual criticism books had been closer to the top of the stack.

Just a friendly reminder that today is back to work day--but lucky for me, I don't have to go into the office until next week!

Let's see... I tag Jarrett, estaminet, Joe.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Can you post the Cole's Notes version of the book quote? Man, was that written in Greek or something? What did the author say?

Joe said...

Mine is done.