Friday, June 02, 2006

Friday Random 10: How does this thing work? Edition

So how does a person who is completely bound to music make it for two weeks without it? Easy: change the location, and everything changes. I could hardly sit in my study and work or play on the computer or read without music. I certainly could not drive around in the car. But on that terrace in Vabre, all I needed was the sound of the cuckoo (not simulated by Mozart or Vivaldi), geese, and the birds I could not identify.

One exception? We visited the market in Castres one morning, and there amidst the stalls selling vegetables, fresh meat, fish, paella, and cheese, was a group of three guys making the ultimate haywire go nuts. They had a stand-up bass, a violin, and simple drums, and their hair was everywhere.

Now that I'm back, I can hardly remember how to work my mp3 player. What does this button do? OH! It plays ten random tracks!

1. "Órgano de Bayamo," Up, Bustle & Out, Master Sessions 2'
2. Bach: Prelude for Lute, Christopher Parkening, The Artistry of Christopher Parkening
3. Stravinsky: Epilogue (Anne, Baba, Tom, Trulove, Nick), Jayne West & Wendy White (sop), Jon Garrison (ten), Arthur Woodley (bar), John Cheek (bass), Orchestra of St. Luke's, Robert Craft (cond), The Rake's Progress (disc 2)
4. "Music Will Not Last," Jamie Lidell, Multiply
5. Josquin Desprez: Sanctus, Pro Cantione Antiqua London, Bruno Turner (cond), Missa "L'Homme armé super voces musicales".
7. "Jump," Paul Anka, Rock Swings (I ain't the worst that you've seen--can't you see what I mean?)
8. Mozart: Symphony No. 41 in C, K551, "Jupiter": 1. Allegro vivace, Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Symphonies 34-41 (disc 3)
9. "Earth Sunrise," Meridian, Punjabi Lounge (disc 2)
10. "Yaar Dha," DJ H & Punjabi Outlawz, Essential Asian Flavas

No comments: